Since 1997, I have conducted forensic evaluations of male survivors of childhood abuse in both civil and criminal cases. I have worked on forensic cases in numerous states including Arizona, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia and in Federal jurisdiction. Most of my forensic cases have involved capital murder, or death penalty, cases in which the defendant had been abused during his childhood. In these cases, I have conducted evaluations of the defendant in order to better understand the impact of childhood events – including trauma and abuse – upon his later functioning.
Past Court Appearances
- 2017 Texas v. Miguel Hernandez, 1379618D
- 2017 State of North Carolina v. William Long 15CRS50302
- 2017 State of Arkansas v. Karl D. Roberts CASE NO. CR 99.70
- 2016 Arizona v. Dustin Kurt Coleman CR 2012-008340
- 2016. State of Mississippi v. Alan Dale Walker 1:97-cv-00029-KS
- 2014 Texas v. Harlem Lewis Cause Nos 1372134 & 1372135
- 2014 North Carolina v. Jonathan Richardson 10 CRS 3981-83; 54369; 54426; 11 CRS 3021-22
- 2014 Texas v. Juan Balderas Cause Nos 1050630 & 1064857
- 2013 Arizona v. Kyle Loretto Alegria CR20092397
- 2013 Texas v. Willie Ray Jenkins CR10-1063
- 2013 Texas v. Stanley Robertson CR10-4337
- 2011 North Carolina v. Danny Thomas 06CRS6250-67
- 2011 Texas v. Travis Mullis CR08-0333
- 2010 North Carolina v. Samuel Cooper 07CR82072
- 2008 North Carolina v. Jakiem Wilson 07CRS11060
- 2008 North Carolina v. Antonio Chance 06CRS74131
- 2007 United States Air Force Court-Martial against Airman Darrin E. Jones, Jr.
- 2005 California v. Alejandro Avila 02CF1862
- 1999 North Carolina v. Clifton White 89CRS31887, 41217-18, 56389, 56391
- 1997 North Carolina v. John Williams 97CRS8000-01, 8388, 17582-84, 17587-88, 17590-91, 88750
Video: Dr. Matthew Mendel expert witness testimony in court, Spring 2010. Case: State of North Carolina v Cooper, 2010, 07CR82072.